Machine learning is about programming computers to optimize a performance
criterion using example data or past experience.
Examples of Machine Learning
- Recognition of spoken speech. That is, converting the acoustic speech signal to an ASCrr text.
- Consider routing packets over a computer network. The path maximizing the quality of service from a source to destination changes continuously as the network traffic changes. A learning routing program is able to adapt to the best path by monitoring the network traffic.
- Intelligent user interface that can adapt to the biometrics of its user, namely, his or her accent, handwriting, working habits, and so forth.
- Retail companies analyze their past sales data to learn their customers’ behavior to improve customer relationship management.
- Financial institutions analyze past transactions to predict customers’ credit risks.
- Robots learn to optimize their behavior to complete a task using minimum resources.
- In bioinformatics, the huge amount of data can only be analyzed and knowledge be extracted using computers.
- Cars that can drive themselves under different road and weather conditions.
- Phones that can translate in real time to and from a foreign language.
- Autonomous robots that can navigate in a new environment, for example, on the surface of another planet.
The book I’m reading, discusses many methods that have their bases in different fields; statistics, pattern recognition, neural networks, artificial intelligence, signal processing, control, and data mining.